Every year, hundreds of thousands of Americans benefit from safe, efficient rhinoplasty procedures — making it one of the top 5 cosmetic surgeries available. With better technology and innovative techniques, it’s simpler than ever to reshape and refine your nose.
As with all plastic surgery procedures, it’s important to seek information and ask questions before you make your decision. Feel empowered to talk to your surgeon beforehand about any of your questions and concerns, and check out the most frequently asked questions about rhinoplasty in Boston, MA:
What is Rhinoplasty?
In simplest terms, rhinoplasty is nose surgery, or “nose reshaping,” designed to enhance your natural beauty. For many patients, a rhinoplasty helps them achieve the facial balance they’ve always desired, allowing them to feel more confident. For other patients, rhinoplasty helps repair a deviated septum and makes breathing feel more natural. Due to advances in cosmetic surgery, rhinoplasty can help you achieve the natural-looking nose you’ve always envisioned — all with one simple procedure.
What Can Rhinoplasty Do for Me?
With a skilled plastic surgeon and a clear vision of what you’d like, it’s possible to achieve a variety of effects from your rhinoplasty. Here are some elements of your nose that can be altered with nose surgery:
- Change the proportion of your nose to the rest of your face to create better facial balance
- Reduce the width of your nostrils or bridge
- Remove any bumps or depressions from your nose’s profile
- Address crooked nose and correct general asymmetry
- Modify, refine, and adjust the angle of a nasal tip that is bulbous or protruding
- Straighten, enhance, or reduce your nasal bridge
- Restore a nose that’s been damaged by trauma
- Improve breathing by opening up nasal passages
- Alter the appearance of nostril shape or size
- Decrease the size of the nose
In general, rhinoplasty should help restore balance, symmetry, and harmony to your facial features. Whether you want to remove any bumps in your nose from profile, or reduce the size of your nose altogether, your skilled plastic surgeon can accomplish your goals.
How do I Ensure I Get the Results I Want from Rhinoplasty?
First, it’s important to consider which aspects of your nose you want to change for a boost in self-confidence. For example, you may want to address a crooked nose, or a nose with a hooked or bulbous tip. Whatever the case, make sure that you communicate your feelings to your surgeon. In addition, it’s important to use photographs to show your surgeon the type of shape, size, and width of nose you’re looking for. A good surgeon will listen carefully to your desires, and come up with a plan to reshape your nose — while still ensuring you feel like your unique self.
What are the Different Kinds of Rhinoplasty?
In general, nose surgeries can be divided into two categories: closed and open rhinoplasty.
- Closed Rhinoplasty. With this method, your surgeon makes their incisions on the inside of the nose. This means there will be no scarring on the outside of your nose, and it’s generally suitable for less extensive rhinoplasty procedures. It’s a great choice if your surgeon only needs to do minimal reshaping.
- Open Rhinoplasty. In an open rhinoplasty, your surgeon accesses your nose by making a small incision between your nostrils. This allows the surgeon to do more extensive reshaping work when necessary. Though it does leave a small scar, it usually won’t be noticeable.
- Tiplasty. Finally, this method is sometimes used when patients want to only reshape the tip of their nose. A tiplasty can be accomplished with both open and closed techniques.
During your consultation with your surgeon, you’ll talk about all these options. After a discussion of your needs and unique situation, your surgeon will be able to come up with a solution that works the best for you.
Is Rhinoplasty a Safe Procedure?
In general, rhinoplasty is a very safe procedure. Though every cosmetic surgery procedure has a slight risk of side effects, rhinoplasty is a tried-and-true surgery that’s been performed on millions of Americans. To make sure you have the safest experience possible, it’s important to choose a board-certified and highly-educated surgeon. Before scheduling your rhinoplasty, research your surgeon’s certifications.
Are they a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons? Where did they go to medical school? Are they a member of a certifying agency like the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Nose surgery is a very common and generally safe procedure, but it’s still important to do research beforehand — and choose the best surgeon possible.
What Should I expect from the Procedure?
Though everybody’s procedure is going to vary slightly, you can definitely expect a few general steps over the course of the rhinoplasty procedure:
- Before surgery. Depending on your surgeon’s recommendations, you might have to make some slight changes in preparation for your surgery. For example, you may be instructed to stop taking blood-thinning painkillers like aspirin.
- Pain management. You and your surgeon will talk about the best option for pain management during the procedure. Generally, you’ll either receive general anesthesia or sedation for your procedure. Either way, you will feel no pain.
- Incision. At this point, depending on whether it’s an open or closed rhinoplasty, your surgeon will make an incision to access the inside of your nose.
- Reshaping. Now, your surgeon will do a thorough job of reshaping the structure of your nose. By removing cartilage and bone, or adding cartilage grafts, your surgeon refines and reshapes your nose. If you and your surgeon talked about straightening a deviated septum, this can also be addressed.
- Finishing up. Finally, your surgeon closes up the incision to complete the rhinoplasty.
How Long does it Take to Recover?
For the first few weeks following surgery, it’s normal to expect some swelling. Often, your nose’s internal structure will be supported with a splint or packing, while you will usually have bandages on the outside. After the first 10 to 14 days, depending on your unique situation, most of the major swelling and bruising should subside. A lot of people are ready to go back to work within a week or two, though it’s important to follow your surgeon’s instructions for care. Over the next year, you’ll see your nose shift in subtle ways as it fully heals and continues the process of refining.
How Much does Rhinoplasty Cost in Boston, MA?
Depending on the procedure, your surgeon, and the location, rhinoplasty costs can vary, and because it’s considered an elective surgery, your medical insurance generally won’t cover your rhinoplasty. As costs can vary, it’s important to talk to your plastic surgery office so you know what to expect. You can live chat now with Dr. Markarian’s team for more information on pricing.
Getting a Rhinoplasty in Boston, MA
Is it time to refine your nose to achieve greater confidence? By consulting with an experienced, professional, compassionate cosmetic surgeon, you can start your process today.