Unfortunately, many patients have disliked their nose for a long time and dislike the fact that they can’t hide it. It’s the focal point of their face.
- Defining Your Aesthetic Goals
- Ideal Candidates for Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Preparing for a Consultation
- Making the Most Out of Your Consultation
- Achieving a Natural-Looking Result
- Patient Results
- Submit a Priority Consult Application
For most people, the decision to have rhinoplasty stems from body insecurity & a lack of self-confidence. One of the biggest positives patients feel following rhinoplasty surgery is that their nose no longer overwhelms their face. Rhinoplasty doesn’t just improve the shape and size of people’s noses – it allows your other features to feel more balanced and flourish. According to RealSelf, Rhinoplasty surgery is the third most popular and requested aesthetic procedure and over 90% of patients who have undertaken rhinoplasty surgery believe it was worth it.
Patients often ask Dr. Mark Markarian to straighten or narrow their nose, to remove a bump from the bridge of their nose to make the tip of their nose more refined. Dr. Markarian believes rhinoplasty procedures are the most detailed in plastic surgery as the slightest adjustment to one element of the nose can affect another. He offers thorough consultations to give personalized guidance and advice to his new and current patients and he loves his patients to be well informed!
Defining Your Aesthetic Goals
Dr. Markarian believes the first step in your rhinoplasty surgery is to have a detailed discussion about the desired outcome of your surgery. This will involve a conversation about your ideal nose size, angle and shape. You may wish to begin by discussing what you do not like about your nose and ask for guidance on how to improve the aesthetic of your nose. Among the most requested modifications to the nose from rhinoplasty patients are:
- Changing the size of the nose. Patients often tell Dr. Markarian that their nose is too big for their face. In your consultation, Dr. Markarian will discuss ways to refine your nose for a less projected look.
- Changing the angle of the nose. The nose has several angles that make up its projection and aesthetic, including the nasofrontal, nasal tip, nasolabial and alar slope angles. Many patients seek refinement and modification of the nasal tip. The angle of the nasal tip is vital in achieving a feminine or masculine aesthetic. A nasal tip less than 90 degrees may look longer and masculine, whereas an angle between 105 and 110 degrees is more feminine.
- Dorsal hump reduction. This is often referred to as straightening the bridge. The dorsal hump is a mix of bone and cartilage and can be a prominent feature of the nose. Many patients with a dorsal hump desired a flatter nasal bridge. This can be achieved by reducing the dorsal hump through surgical rhinoplasty.
Dr. Markarian will conduct a thorough assessment of your nose during a consultation.
Ideal Candidates for Rhinoplasty Surgery
Men and women consider rhinoplasty surgeries for a variety of reasons. For example:
- They feel self-conscious about their nose.
- Their nose is affecting their confidence in relationships and at work.
- They suffer from a deformity which requires modification.
- As they have aged, their nose has changed in a way that makes them unhappy.
Patients should also explore whether they are a candidate for undergoing rhinoplasty surgery. Age, previous ill-health and if they can take time off work are among the largest concerns.
Am I too young for a rhinoplasty?
If potential patients have been unhappy with their nose for a long time, it is natural to seek a change as soon as possible. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommends rhinoplasty surgery only after a patient’s facial growth is complete. Women typically reach skeletal maturity at around 16 and men at around 17.
Are medical tests required before rhinoplasty surgeon?
The need for medical tests may vary depending on the patient. You should make sure Dr. Markarian is aware of any medical conditions or allergies you may have. Dr. Markarian and his staff will inform you if you need medical clearance prior to surgery.
Preparing for a Consultation
Dr. Markarian loves answering patients’ questions and truly believes the best patients are those that are fully informed. He asks patients to bring photographs of nose images to make it easier to identify their desired aesthetic and goals. He also recommends writing down a list of questions patients may have from their research or talking to friends.
Making the Most Out of Your Consultation
Dr. Markarian’s rhinoplasty consultations typically last between 30 and 45 minutes. He performs a detailed examination of his patients to carefully assess the different properties of their nose, including the nasal tip, nostrils, symmetry, and bridge. He recommends bringing images of other patients to more easily define your goals.
Achieving a Natural-Looking Result
One of the key concerns of plastic surgery patients is that they will look unnatural following a procedure. No other surgery in plastic surgery demands such attention to detail as does the rhinoplasty. Dr. Markarian creates natural, balanced facial appearances when enhancing a nose to truly complement the rest of the face.
While some noses can benefit from more significant modification than others, Dr. Markarian’s goals are always to strive for a natural result.
A 30 year old woman is shown 6 weeks post-op from a rhinoplasty. Dorsal hump reduction was performed, in addition to deprojection of the nasal tip, and tip rotation to improve her nasal droop both at rest and when smiling. Multiple cartilage grafts were performed to help provide long term stability and help provide a natural result.
A woman in her 20s is shown 1 month postop from a Rhinoplasty. She underwent a dorsal hump reduction and tip refinement. This view also shows the correction in her nasal tip asymmetry and improvement of the left alar retraction (the higher position of the left nostril).
The goals of a Rhinoplasty are to enhance or reduce the nasal bridge, to adjust the angle and definition of the nasal tip, to redefine the apparent length of the nose, and to restore nose shape after trauma or injury, with the overall goal to create a more balanced natural facial appearance which complements the rest of the face.
A woman in her 20s is shown 6 months after a Rhinoplasty. Dorsal hump reduction was performed with subtle tip refinement involving cartilage modification and grafting. One of Dr. Markarian’s goals in a rhinoplasty is to always try and preserve a natural looking result.
Dr. Markarian is offering Priority Consultations for people who deserve immediate attention.
If your application is successful, you will get a free consultation within two weeks of your inquiry.
A Priority Consultation is for you if:
- You feel that rhinoplasty surgery would be immediately life changing for you.
- You are looking for an expert rhinoplasty surgeon.
- You would like rhinoplasty soon but are waiting for the right surgeon.
Please fill out the form below. Applicants are considered on a first come, first serve basis. Just tell your story the best you can to qualify.