Also known as augmentation mammaplasty, breast augmentation creates a fuller, softer, and naturally proportioned breast shape using breast implants. Breast augmentation surgery is one of the most common aesthetic procedures and patients have a variety of reasons for undergoing breast enhancement.
Common goals of breast augmentation goals are to achieve a softer, fuller, naturally flattering breast contour, to turn around the negative effects of pregnancy, weight loss, or aging on breast shape, to repair the disappointing effects of prior surgeries, and to enhancing self-esteem and confidence.
Post-pregnancy and post-weight-loss women often combine this procedure with another enhancement such as a breast lift or breast asymmetry correction to achieve their aesthetic goals. Dr. Markarian has advanced training in breast enhancement techniques, and is here to support his patients in achieving their personal breast augmentation goals at a consultation.
Dr Markarian will personalize your procedure – every breast augmentation surgery Dr. Markarian performs focuses on providing the most proportional, natural-looking results possible. The cornerstone of a successful breast augmentation outcome is individualizing a surgical plan for each patient that takes into consideration their existing breast tissue, breast augmentation goals, and the appropriate breast implant choice. To meet your breast enhancement goals, Dr. Markarian plans your breast augmentation with high-quality results personalized to your existing breast contour. Based on this individualized interaction and taking into account your goals and concerns, he will share his surgical vision and discuss your procedure options thoroughly before creating a surgical plan customized to match your body and goals.
Decision-making about your breast implant will involve:
- Implant Type: Dr. Markarian will personally help you custom-select the size and shape of silicone gel breast implants or saline breast implants that offer the best natural looking enhancement for you. He will take measurements to determine the best fit for your frame. You may bring in photographs from the internet or a magazine to discuss your desired size, shape, and look.
- Implant Placement: As a breast augmentation surgeon with advanced aesthetic training, Dr. Markarian will discuss the following three breast implant placement options:
- Subglandular: placement above the pectoralis muscle.
- Submuscular: placement below the pectoralis muscle.
- Dual Plane: placement partially beneath the pectoralis muscle and partially beneath the mammary gland.
- Skin Incision: Depending on your individual needs, Dr. Markarian will place your implants through a small incision hidden in the breast crease (infra-mammary breast augmentation), or at the edge of the areola (peri-areolar breast augmentation).
Understanding that many women are concerned with the possibility of scarring, Dr. Markarian utilizes techniques that ensure a smooth, highly natural-looking result while minimizing incision appearance. He also offers approaches specifically designed for his breast reconstruction and breast implant revision patients.
Breast augmentation surgery is performed under general anesthesia, meaning you will be completely asleep and feel nothing during surgery. The surgery is typically performed as an outpatient procedure and takes a 1-2 hours, although you should expect to spend extra time in the operating room if your procedure will focus on multiple areas.